Friday 13 March 2009

the flop of expectation

Today (and yesterday) I have a painful back from some kind of muscle trouble and so in the spirit of easing my pain I decided to make some brownies...even though a past post shows that the calorific dangers of brownie making are known to me. However, something inside told me to do it and i thought i could post a picture of them like I have seen others do... neat little pieces in an artsy shot. . well, here they are ...


What? anticipation, greed I dunno it took over - even though my knife test showed me it wasn't ready I took it out thinking it'd finish cooking on the cooling plate (It made sense in my head at the time) but no, the top flopped off. So it got me thinking...
1) it's a little life lesson for me - in my keeness to get things done and finish a task I always rush the process and then things just don't turn out how i expect. I need to be patient and believe the process is cooking up something wonderful without my inteference - i contribute by starting the process (making sure all the ingredients are in place), by having the patience to wait but also being alert too (for checking if things are looking ok)
2) I thought about not posting a picture of my brownies as they weren't the neat pieces I had envisaged - my expectation was disappointed - but do you know what they taste as good as they would neat. I guess we all want to portray the best parts of ourselves, our lives - the things that work out, the things that look great, maybe so we get a few admiring glances? Maybe so others envy us - so we don't feel inferior, so we feel the best - who knows...But sometimes my brownies will work and sometimes they won't, and that's life...for all of us. Who would have thought brownies could have so much to teach us?
3) everything is in perspective today as i am reading this. Oh my god, how awful would this life have been. The mere glimpses of what happened, well ...I am only at the beginning and so not sure what I will take from this book in the end, but today at least it has taught me perspective, that my back pain is a slight trouble that will pass and my brownie, well my goodness I am just grateful to have the liberty in my life to spend time baking something that tastes wonderful in my safe and warm home.
oh and ahh...i wanted to post this...he stinks, he's scruffy..no not my husband although he fits the bill...Dillon dog...look at the bed head, well he is a teenager in doggy years after all - please note that carpet is not my choice...apologies if you have a carpet like this from choice, it's just not my cup of tea.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Hi Samantha .. thanks for leaving me a comment! funny, when I was reading your previous post I was thinking that yes, seems as if we are sharing some of the same thoughts about our journeys! By the way .. my brownies look like this the majority of the time!! :)